No, there is no need to see a dermatologist unless you have some instances of drastic hair loss or are very concerned with your hair problems. If you notice any of the below drastic hair loss signs, you should see a dermatologist.
- Sudden loss of patches of hair. This tells you that your hair is falling off and that you need immediate treatment.
- Incomplete hair loss on the scalp or eyebrows and parches of broken hairs and incomplete hair is a sign that something needs to be done.
- Any moment your hair is pulled out when gently brushed is a sign that you need to seek a dermatologist's advice.
- If you or someone around you suffers an unexplained loss of hair on any body part, then you know that you need to be closer to a dermatologist to stop this absurd condition.
Research shows that losing hair is so common such that everyone loses hair in about 50 to 100 hairs each day. Anything more than 100 hairs would be more than normal.
Hair loss is considered normal for the below situation and hard to reverse
- Pregnancy and Childbirth, normal to shed hair for 6 months before the normal cycle
- Telogen Effluvium or hair loss due to stressful event, which should self recover after 3 months from the event
Questions to Ask a Dermatologist
If you decide to see a dermatologist on your hair issues, below are recommended questions to ask your dermatologist from Dr. Jeff Donovan, a Canadian and US board-certified dermatologist specializing exclusively in hair loss:-
- Do I need blood tests?
- Is my current diet, nutrition or current body weight creating an issue for my hair?
- Are any of the medications, supplements that I am taking creating a problem for my hair? Am I wasting my money on any of the supplements in my list?
- Do you recommend I take any specific vitamins or supplements? Specifically, should I take vitamin D? Do I need iron? Do I need a multivitamin?
- Could this possibly be another condition other than the condition you have diagnosed ...and if so - how will you evaluate that possibility?
- What do you expect to happen to my hair in the next 6, 12 and 24 months? (should it grow more, stay the same or should I expect more loss?). What will we do if we find your prediction is not correct?
- (For women not diagnosed with genetic hair loss I always recommend asking this question) ...Is it possible that I have androgenetic alopecia and how do you know?
- What would you need to see on my scalp or hear from my particular story that would prompt you to do a scalp biopsy? In your opinion, do you think that would ever become necessary for me?
- I understand there are many possible treatments for the condition you have diagnosed for me. Can you outline the top 5 options and the chances of success with each? I'd like to better understand the real chances of seeing an improvement with all the options there are. Do you offer these various options or would you refer me to a colleague? What are the side effects of these treatments?
- When is my next appointment with you and what are you hoping to see on my scalp at that appointment?
What is a hair doctor
Most of the people end up living with hair loss or even don’t care because they aren’t yet losing a significant amount of hair. Others take an alternative approach when it comes to hair loss like getting a hairstyle or cap that hides their hair loss. This works until severe hair loss which results in bald patches or lots of thinning.
If you decide to see a doctor, you might wonder why you should see a dermatologist who sounds like a skin doctor rather than a hair doctor. Dermatologists are licensed medical professionals who provide specialized care for the skin, nails, and hair. These are closely related problems.
Rather than beauticians or hairstylists, we recommend going to the National Skin Centre in Singapore to seek a diagnosis.
Causes of Hair Loss
Hair loss is caused by many reasons. Especially nursing women, after delivery they may notice hair loss. Stress can also be another cause particularly when one is subjected to too much stress. Again there are various diseases like cancer and their forms of treatment that lead to massive hair breakage.
Hereditary, however, is the commonly most known source of hair loss. The good thing is that this problem can be treated or even stopped by a dermatologist, a doctor who majors in treating hair nails and skin. Improper cosmetic use will also cause hair breakage.
Steps you are likely to undergo for hair loss treatment
When you meet a dermatologist, first of all, he or she will have to analyze the condition. You will realize that hair loss is a kind of scalp condition whereby the hair roots lose strength and causes the hair to fall off, other reason could be that your hair has become week due to poor nutrition. The hair becomes weak and starts falling off. The dermatologist will analyze your hair to make an accurate diagnosis. This will include having you to undergo some tests.
The second step after your problem is analyzed, and then the doctor can analyze your problem. Evaluation of the problem is vital before proceeding to treatment. This is just to ensure that problem is resolved thoroughly. As you know, hair and beauty matters can’t be taken for granted. The doctor will have many ideas and suggestions to help you in making up the things that will help you recover your hair.
After your problem is detected, you can proceed with treatment. it is only the dermatologists that will provide you with the best assistance with treatments and hair restoration when you are facing hair breakage, the earlier you get to know about the problem with your hair, the better since you are likely to get appropriate treatment early enough. You don’t have to put a lot of effort into looking for hair treatment; it is going to be a smooth and easy procedure that will make you have a relaxed life with fun ahead. You need to make sure that you have consulted the right dermatologist who is completely professional in his approach that you may get the best outcome and support.
The dermatologist will not only help you to save your hair but will also help you save your life as well. The reason being, hair makes an important part of our personality in that they make us feel beautiful. Therefore hair loss means that you will miss your ultimate beauty and your personality attraction which can be life-threatening for sure. In most cases hair fall could be due to health problems, when you get to see a dermatologist he or she will help you to know about these upcoming threats and thus your things will be made easy for you at an early age.
Seeing a dermatologist will also help you work on your hair scalp by ensuring that it remains healthy and productive. Hair loss comes as a result of an unhealthy scalp. In a very simple way, you can get a healthy and favorable scalp that will help you eliminate hair breakages. You will have to pay attention to your challenges in different dimensions to ensure that things will come out as productive and helpful regarding your problem. Your dermatologist will assist you with the best treatment options in general for you.
If you want to ultimately have healthy hair growth, then you will need to expect to visit the dermatologist after a specific period. This is paramount in helping you to keep track of your hair growth.
This practice will help you healthily maintain your hair and help you maintain your beauty. When your hair grows healthily, it will allow you to try several styles that can match your hair. It becomes so important to you to have the best lifestyle that will offer you the best moments in general.
Especially for women, when you work on your hair properly, then you will be free from the psychological strain that is brought by the society since they have their expectations. Hair loss can even lower your self-esteem which is not good for your life. In case you find yourself in a situation where you are losing hair, don’t use more time worrying, look for a dermatologist and you are going to get the necessary help.