In humid Singapore, frizzy hair is the most common hair problem for secondary school girls. A long-term solution to frizzy hair is either Keratin Treatment or Rebonding.
A comparison between Keratin Treatment and Rebonding in Singapore to help you decide.
|How It Works
|Coating a layer of keratin at your hair
|Breaking bonds in existing hair to reshape into straighter version
|No, as coating add weight
|Dyeing Hair in Future
|Not recommended as harder for the dye to penetrate
|Loves to try Curls
|No, but option for C-curl, C-curve, S-curl Rebonding
|Add Shine and Gloss
|Existing Damaged Hair
|No, as it further damaged hair by breaking the bonds
|Long Term Solution
|No, as needs to go for treatment again every 3-4 months
|Yes usually (though new hair might be curly or frizzy)
Rebonding is a good choice if you don't really want to maintain your hair or try new style. Once you do it, your hair will be straightened for a long time. It does not add any weight to your hair and you can still dye a different hair color easily.
Rebonding is not recommended if you have damaged hair, though you can ask a stylist. It might further damage your hair with its chemical treatment. It was popular in the past but Keratin treatment provides a flexible alternative for people to still meddle with their hair.
Keratin Hair Treatment is an alternative to rebonding and can repair fizzy, damaged and dry hair with a long-term result (up to several months).
The disadvantages are the high prices, and keratin treatment was exclusive to hair salon only. Over the years, shampoo companies started selling keratin-rich shampoo to people like us to perform keratin treatment at home at an affordable price. Our below guide will comprise
- The only 3 salons with the best keratin treatments in Singapore, and
- How to DIY keratin treatment at the comfort of your home.
How Often Can I do Keratin Treatment
Other than asking your stylist, the best way to determine if you need keratin treatment again is whether your hair is feeling frizzy. There are no guidelines for the time period as different treatment have different strength and lasts differently. Furthermore, some treatments have different levels, e.g. "Full" for 4-6 months and "Speedy" for 4-6 weeks.
Keratin Treatment In Singapore Reviews
To be honest, we didn't go to any Keratin treatment services since we can do keratin treatment at home and treatments are not cheap.
However, we know you might have a very busy schedule and have no time to learn how to do it. Therefore, we checked online for reviews from beautyundercover, expatliving, nadnut, and ngjuann. Keratin treatment is known to reduce frizz and create wavy hair. Without further ado, below are the collated reviews of the 3 best keratin treatment in Singapore.
- Chez Vous Hair Salon @ Ngee Ann City Takashimaya. Price $375 onwards
- "Hair Botox + Fillers is a revolutionary new hair therapy that fixes hair damages with active ingredients and reparative hair supplements. Just like how botox and fillers even out wrinkles and plump up your face! It's a semi-permanent solution that can last 2 to 5 months, depending on how well the hair is taken care of." - Agent C, beautyundercover.
- "Although the whole process took nearly five hours, my hair is now in the best condition I have ever seen it and the color is perfect. Living with the treatment for two weeks now, my hair has never been so manageable. It is silky, shiny, soft, and easy to style. The delicious-smelling shampoo and conditioner are also helping to keep my hair in check. Although I know it’s expensive, I really can’t recommend this treatment at Chez Vous enough – you won’t regret it!" - Natalie Whittell, expatliving
- "This is not the typical Brazilian Blowout that you may have tried earlier. It is better. A generous layer of Keratin is applied to sections of hair and left for 20 minutes to be absorbed. The hair is then blow-dried and straightened so that the keratins well absorbed into every inch of hair, before being washed with a Keratin mask. What one gets at the end is delightful, shiny hair. On your way out, pick up a special keratin shampoo, conditioner, and serum to care for your hair. The effects of this Keratin treatment can last up to 3 months." - Pooja, Herworld
- LeeKaJa Korean Hair & Beauty Salon @ Mandarin Gallery - Price $300 onwards.
- "The equivalent of botox for hair, the Cinderella Treatment contains aloe vera, collagen, vitamins, and other organic ingredients to help moisturize and nourish your hair. The end result is soft smooth straight locks without using chemical treatments. What's so unique about this keratin treatment is that it can be combined with a perm to give you curls or volume that desire." - Undercoveragent
- "So smooth, straight and so soft. The aftereffect is like I rebonded it! Don’t be fooled by the dark shade, my hair was lightened to apply this shade of grey which starts off very dark. As it washes off, it’ll gradually become lighter. Unlike most treatments which come with many steps, this one is really straightforward and so efficient. I am typing this 2 months after I received the LKJ Signature Cinderella Treatment and my hair is still so smooth!!" - ngjuann
- "Not only is it suitable for bleached hair, but it also does not give ramrod straight effects. In fact, it looks more a good blow-dry or soft rebonding. The best thing? It lasts for 2 months. All mamas should go for this treatment, who has time to style your hair when busy with the kids? This treatment ensures the most fuss-free approach! I also opted for a trim to keep things simple. " - nadnut
- COVO Japanese Hair Salon @ Outram Park Keong Saik Rd - Price $300 onwards.
- "As one of the first Japanese salons to introduce keratin treatments in Singapore, COVO remains a popular choice for Japanese, locals, and even Caucasian customers for keratin treatments to this day. The stylists here are able to advise you on which hair type is most suitable for keratin treatment!" - Undercoveragent
- "I was greeted with a relaxed, frizz-free, and natural-looking hair with high gloss! As I ran my fingers through my hair, there were no tangles, no roughness. There was no pungent smell from the treatment, and the silk effect on my hair is said to last up to 5 months! Boy, I AM SOLD!!" - Sherlenelian
Fave Keratin Treatment Singapore
One alternative to cheaper keratin treatment while not needing to do it yourself is getting it from Fave (previously known as Groupon). The most popular one is at Bugis Cube, which costs $108 and is called J-Cubie salon. Based on reviews so far, it is worth a try for sure.
Keratin Treatment At Home
It is really easy to prepare for a keratin treatment and it is much cheaper than the $300 price in a professional salon or $100 for a salon in Fave. Because there no harsh chemical in the shampoo, you don't need any special equipment like gloves used for dying hair. Do note that if your hair is super dry and brittle, don't use keratin treatment and strengthen your hair first.
Best Keratin Treatment Home Kit
These are the available choices in Singapore:
- Tresemme Keratin Smooth 7 Day Smooth System - Tresemme Keratin Smooth is low in sulphates, which is used for their cleansing properties and helps the formula lather during use. It is not too foamy and TRESemme Keratin Smooth promises an instantly smoother style and frizz control that lasts up to 48 hours. Tresemme recommends applying and using 2-3 minutes before rinsing. Since it is not a professional keratin treatment, it can be used to prepare for salon hair treatment.
- 10 Miracle Leave-In Plus Keratin - From the USA, it can be used alone and/or as a restorative styling product to maintain keratin straightening treatments. It improves manageability and replaces lost protein with every use. It can be used on wet hair for extra shine or dry hair in place of styling cream.
- Kerasilk Gold Control - Professional keratin treatment for maximum results. Formaldehyde-free and Includes 2 solutions that must be mixed together in 1:1 proportion. “Shape” is used to relax the curls and “Smooth” takes the frizz away. Provides curls reduction for damaged hair. Restores damaged hair bonds for healthier, stronger hair. Enjoy smooth, frizz-free, shiny, soft hair for up to 5 months! Transform unmanageable, curly and frizzy hair with thermo-active KeraShape Technology into long-lasting, smooth, and straighter hair like silk.
Steps to Treat Your Hair With Keratin
The following are the steps to perform keratin treatment at home.
- Shampoo your hair with keratin-rich shampoo - The first step, shampoo your hair with a shampoo like Goldwell Ultra Rich Kerasilk Shampoo and do not use any conditioner. If you have curly hair or have hair that is resistant to treatment, try to wash one more time for better effect.
- Apply Keratin Treatment onto your dry hair - Use a towel to dry your hair. Don't use a hot air hair dryer as it will damage your hair further. Keep some moisture in your hair so that it is easier to apply the treatment to your hair. You can use a comb or your hand to apply the keratin onto different sections of your hair until you covered all your hair. Relaxed for 30 minutes - Yes, just relaxed and watch your favorite drama or Youtube videos.
- Rinse Hair Thoroughly - After relaxing, time to rinse your hair thoroughly as any residue might result in dandruff instead. For the next 48 hours, don't wash your hair again and let the hair absorb the magical keratin.
Is Keratin Treatment bad for your health?
Many websites said that keratin has side effects of creating hair damage or even cancer. Is that true?
It is only true if chemicals such as formaldehyde & parabens are used, which are in certain keratin products. Under high heat, these chemicals are linked to the cause of cancer. When inhaled, formaldehyde can cause throat and eye irritation, nausea, and skin sensitivity.
It isn't just formaldehyde too as the hair care industry found substitute chemicals that still release formaldehyde when heated. The following chemicals are all considered formaldehyde:
- methylene glycol,
- methylene oxide,
- formic aldehyde,
- oxomethane, and
Therefore, you got to either select your shampoo or check with your salon, you will find that there are formaldehyde-free and paraben-free shampoo options. In Singapore, we highly recommend the Goldwell Ultra Rich Kerasilk Shampoo. It is used in many salons and has years of history.
The following are its ingredient: Water / Aqua / Eau, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-18 Glyceryl Oleate/Cocoate, Glycol Distearate, Coco-Glucoside, Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Keratin, Hydrolyzed Silk, Glyoxylic Acid, Quaternium-80, Polyquaternium-10, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Cocamide MEA, Alcohol Denat., Sodium Acetate, Sodium Chloride, Isopropyl Alcohol, Sodium Benzoate, Benzoic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance / Parfum.
It is a popular choice because it is free from formaldehyde & parabens which are both known to be harmful to our hair. There are also no harsh chemical or harmful components.
Don't let your frizz or dry hair taunt you. Rebonding or Keratin treatment in hair salons or at home will straighten your hair for weeks or even months. Make it your goal in life and stop dying or harming your hair with harsh chemicals.