If you are using rice water, then you might be wondering how fast your hair would grow.
So how fast does rice water grow hair? It could take anything from months depending on how often you use it. Even though rice water won't add inches in weeks, dermatologist Neil Sadick, MD, of Sadick Dermatology in New York City, notes that using rice water is totally safe and can provide nutrients to the hair, which will help strengthen hair overall. Some experts who have used rice water have noticed that their hair has grown by at least two inches within months of using rice water.
Your hair just has to be fabulous, doesn’t it? Read on.
Rice water has been said to have a very good effect on our hair. It is said to grow and nurture it. To understand the impact of rice water, lets us consider some basic things about it. A 2002 study found that patients with atopic dermatitis who bathed in rice water twice a day experienced a 20% improvement in skin healing.
Rice and Growing hair
- According to 2010 study, researchers dated the beauty ritual back to ancient Japan when court ladies living during the Heian period would saturate their hair in fermented rice water (also called Yu-Su-Ru) to stimulate growth (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2010.00605_3.x)
When we talk about rice water, we are talking about the water that is starchy. This water would usually be extracted when you cook rice or have soaked it for a while. Some of the reasons why rice water helps to grow water are that it contains some very vital nutrients. These would include vitamins such as B vitamins, amino acids and so much more. These nutrients help to replenish hair that is malnourished and transforms them into longer stronger hair.
The effects of rice water are further enhanced if you ferment it. Fermented rice water is rice water that is left to ferment and has gone slightly sour. It is rich in antioxidants, minerals, B vitamins, vitamin E, and traces of Pitera, a substance produced during the fermentation process. ‘Pitera’ has grown in popularity recently, and is touted as the anti-aging elixir due to its ability to promote cell regeneration, and help skin stay young and beautiful.
- Cosmetic chemist and trichologist Debbie Williams, who has her own line of hair care product shared that “Rice water is so powerful because it's in liquid form, which will absorb into your hair and scalp immediately more than a vitamin can,"
That surely shows that rice water means it can help within a short period of time. If you want to use rice water though, it is important to take note of some benefits and side effects that can cause you in the long run. It is also important to take note of some of the various methods of getting rice water. These would include the soaked rice, boiled rice, and fermented rice strategies. Each method has its own pros and how it acts. It really depends on which one you prefer.
- Kerry Yates, trichologist and founder of Colour-Collective, said “Women have claimed that rice water prevents premature graying and is the main reason for their substantially long hair. Unfortunately, there is no definitive scientific evidence that confirms those claims. However, the starchy water does a great job of closing the cuticle down, creating a smooth surface and giving the appearance of healthy, shiny hair."
Benefits of growing your hair with rice water
"Rice water is rich with amino acids, B vitamins, vitamin E, minerals and antioxidants, all of which have known benefits for the hair," explains Andrew Fitzsimon, NatureLab TOKYO Brand Ambassador and celebrity hairstylist.
According to Rita Hazan, a celebrity colorist, salon owner, and product developer, rice water can not only help with hair growth but also with shine and volume. "Rice water contains rice protein, which plumps up the hair cuticle," she said. "In the same way rice expands when you cook it in water, it expands in your hair, making it appear healthier and more voluminous."
There are several benefits that come from using rice water on your hair. Here are some of them;
- Rice water keep your hair tangle-free: have you been at lost on the steps that you have to take to ensure that your hair stays free from tangle? Well, rice water would help you to achieve this in record time. With consistent treatment, you can be sure of seeing the result within a short period.
- Stronger hair: one of the benefits of washing your hair with rice water would be stronger hair. It keeps your hair strong and looking healthy at all times.
- Longer hair: of course, this is what we are truly searching for. The prospect of having longer hair. This can be achieved through the consistent use of rice water.
- It also helps with the skin: if you are looking for double benefits for your body, then this is the perfect product for you to use. Apart from helping your hair look perfect, it also ensures that your skin stays free from certain acne and dermatitis. Using rice water is really a win-win scenario for all parts of your body that is involved.
Julian Guerrero, hairstylist, and educator at Butterfly Studio Salon in New York said “Fermented rice water is acidic, and when you rinse your hair with it, it restores and balances the pH of your hair," he said. "We’ve been seeing hair care brands bring the benefits of rice to hair products, from cleansers to styling creams."
Side effects of using rice water
There are not many side effects when it comes to using rice water. However, it is necessary to point out a few things. These would include;
- Drying effect: just like any other treatments that are carried out on the hair, it is very important to look out for treatment that dry the hair. This is especially important when it comes to women or anyone who has a dry scalp. For these persons, they would find that reducing the number of times they use rice water weekly would be of tremendous help. Usually, a reduction to once a week would suit them just fine.
- Storing rice water: rice water can only be stored for about a week. So make sure that you have that always in mind. Using rice water which is not fresh or new could have adverse effects on your hair. Before you start the treatment process, make sure that you shake the rice water well.
Should I use rice water on my hair?
So should you use rice water on your hair? The answer to that question is definitely in the affirmative. Rice water has a number of benefits and it can get your hair looking so much better within a month! However, while using rice water, it is important to take note of some cons as mentioned earlier. However, the good news is that these effects can easily be overstepped.
So take the time today to learn how to use rice water and if you were afraid it won't work with your hair, trust me, you have no reason to feel that way. It would surely be a blast. We all want our hair to be longer, stronger and look well-nourished. For that reason, people go to great lengths to make sure that their hair is actually well-taken care of. For others, the problem has to do with their just how long their hair is.