- Minoxidil. Minoxidil (Rogaine) is available without a prescription. You spray or rub it into your scalp 2 times a day.
- Finasteride. Finasteride (Propecia) is available by prescription. It's a pill that you take once a day.
Instead, you can try these unexpected ideas (See #35) to grow your hair slowly by making minor changes every night.
Gradual but NOT guaranteed methods
- Get loaded up with vitamins (e.g. Sugar Bear Hair Vitamins)
- Coconut Oils For Hair
- Chop Onion Juice
- Mixed Apple Cider Vinegar with water
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Tea Bags
- Rice Water
- Mix Henna with Yogurt
- Mix Cayenne Pepper with olive oil
- Egg Mask
- Horsetail Extract
- Guava Leaves
- Turmeric with Raw Milk and Honey
- Curry Leaf
- Bee Pollen
- Amla Powder
- Chia Seeds
- Mustard Powder
- Crush Biotin with olive oil on your hair
- Raw Shea Butter
- Brewers Yeast
- Potato Juice
- Ginseng Herb
- Coconut Milk
- Blackstrap Molasses
- Saw Palmetto
- Baking Soda
- Protein Powder
- Inversion Method
Baking Soda Overnight
#35 Baking Soda was a surprise and we researched further. According to Healthline, people reported that baking soda, dissolved in water, can remove excess oil and buildup, soften your hair, and restore shine.
But the baking soda method comes with bad long-term consequences if you keep using ti overnight and will severely damage your hair over time.
The science from Healthline said, "The average scalp has a pH level of 5.5, and the hair shaft has a pH level of 3.67. Maintaining this balance helps with hair health, but baking soda has a pH level of 9."
Research from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4158629/ said that high pH (alkaline) will cause
- cuticle damage
- hair breakage
Another study on infants found that an alkaline soap (pH 9.5) significantly decreased the skin’s fat content and irritated the protective layer of the skin too. The study concluded that
"Each cleansing agent, even normal tap water, influences the skin surface. The increase of the skin pH irritates the physiological protective ‘acid mantle’, changes the composition of the cutaneous bacterial flora and the activity of enzymes in the upper epidermis, which have an acid pH optimum. The dissolution of fat from the skin surface may influence the hydration status leading to dry and squamous skin."
Even normal tap water would hurt the skin. Nevertheless, consider each long-term overnight method/myth carefully "No Harm Trying".
Lifestyle changes to improve your hair
We all know that lifestyle changes impact our hair. For example, some people asked if putting your hair in a ponytail makes it grow faster? Our answer is the opposite and putting your hair in any bun or ponytail is only guaranteed to create breakage. With breakage, your hair becomes less healthy and will grow slower instead of faster.
Instead of applying things on your hair, you can also improve your hair with the following lifestyle change:
- Stop with the daily wash as it dehydrates your hair.
- Keep your hair well-moisturized.
- Embrace your natural texture.
- Embrace your grays instead do dyeing which damages your hair
- Keep your flat-ironing impulses to a minimum.
- Add some face-flattering layers.
- Attend to that flaky scalp.
- Protect your hair from sun damage.
- Heat style carefully.
- Use dyes specifically formulated for your hair type.
- Try balayage.
- Master some protective styles.
- Skip the sticky hairspray.
- Get trims even when you’re growing out a short cut.
- Make sure you’re using the correct amount of product.
- Stop rubbing your hair to dry it.
- Try a soft updo.
- Invest in a silk pillowcase.
- Let your hair air dry whenever possible.
- Learn to love your curling wand.
- Get a brush with natural bristles.
- Do a regular deep-conditioning treatment.
- Ditch uncovered elastics for good.
- Maximize shine with a gloss treatment.
- Invest in a great dry shampoo.
- Get the right cut for your face.
- Condition at your roots and work your way up.
- Go in for a trim every six weeks to reduce split ends.