Argan oil Trends and Benefits
How much do you know about Argan Oil? Based on market research, the usage of argan oil is growing rapidly and expected to reach close to 600 million USD in 2022. Besides cosmetics, argan oil is also used for food and medical purpose.
Argan oil has many benefits, due to its rich ingredients which include nutrients and vitamins namely antioxidant tocopherols, lupeol, omega 3 & omega 6 fatty acids, butyrospermol, triterpenoids, and beta amyrine.
Want to know more?
In this post, we will share to you our "secret" research on the beneficial argan oil and its applications. Just kidding, nothing's secrets and everything was from the Internet and Google.
Where does argan oil come from
One solution that people have been using over the years to prevent hair loss and at the same time make the hair grow healthy is Argan oil. Argan oil is natively from Morocco. It is a product of Argan Tree which is found in Morocco.
Argan tree was traditionally cultivated to dip with bread. Over the years this tree proved to have uncountable benefits to the skin and the hair and that’s why it is now one of the best hair loss home remedies.
What does argan oil smell like
Similar to olive oil, there are various grades of argan oil with differing smells. Naturally or cold pressed oil smell the strongest with a very light citrus fruit fragrance. The natural smell felt pungent which is why the industry came out with new variants.
In Europe and the USA, the popularity of argan oil being used on face and hair are due to the removal of the pungent smell using one of the 2 methods:
- Filtered Unscented Argan Oil - To reduce the smell of Argan oil, it was passed through a more advanced filtration process that removed a small fraction of oil and remaining sediment to yield a near odorless oil.
- Steamed Deodorized Argan Oil - To completely remove the smell, the oil is steamed in a vacuum to prevent oxidization. It results in a clear or pale pink color.
Argan oil good for hair
There are some of the cases where you can be convinced to cut your hair off due to its falling hair, brittle or weak dry hair. Others will tell you that having healthy hair will not add anything in your life. However, the reality of the matter is that there are several things that you gain with healthy hair and argan oil can be solved some of your hair problems.
Argan oil vs coconut oil
Argan Oil and Coconut Oil are both trending and popular for hair uses. However, they have many differences such as
- Antibacterial and Antifungal properties of Coconut - Coconut oil is better used for treating dandruff or rashes. It helps to clear away dead skin, which stimulates follicle growth- leading to thicker, fuller locks
- Antioxidant property of Argan Oil - Antioxidant is present in argan oil in the form of Vitamin E. When applied to the scalp, the vitamins in this oil speed up cell regeneration, which can also help hair to grow faster. It also fights free radicals, which prevent hair from being damaged by UV rays and airborne pollutants. This means that hair keeps its healthy luster despite the uncontrollable elements.
- Hair Health - Argan oil seals hair’s cuticles, which minimizes the look of split ends and frizziness. It’s great for making tired, dried out hair look shiny and full of life. Coconut oil is less used for frizz treatment, due to its fatty acid profile and difficulties to wash away the oil.
Argan oil vs rosehip oil
Another comparison with argan oil is the rosehip oil. Rosehip oil is more often used for skin with its fragrance but it can also be used for hair. Still, they have many differences such as
- Vitamin C of Rosehip oil - Rosehip seeds are rich and valuable in nutrients such as Vitamin C and produce a hydrating oil that is well-absorbed by the scalp’s skin
- Beta-carotene of Rosehip Oil - Rosehip oil for hair growth contains beta-carotene, which assists in normalizing hair’s oil production, keeping hair moisturized, flexible, and strong
- The possible side effects of Rosehip Oil - Unlike argan oil, rosehip oil is powerful and can cause an allergic reaction leading to rash or inflammation. In the worse case, it can disrupt your hair follicles and cause them to stop producing healthy hair. However, you can consider blending rosehip oil and using argan oil as the carrier oil to get the best of both world.
Why should you use Argan oil for hair?
Argan oil also has several immediate benefits. When used the right way, then it becomes an excellent agent for taming frizz. It also promotes shine and gloss. In some other cases, it can promote softer and manageable hair. As opposed to several other oils that can be applied on the hair, this oil is non-irritable. It is used in its purest form because this is when it has most of the benefits.
How to use argan oil for hair
- Hair Treatment - In most of the cases, this oil is used as a hair treatment. It has been proven to have uncountable benefits to your hair and the scalp. This oil has several vitamins that most of the people have been looking for. One of these vitamins is Vitamin E which is extremely beneficial to the hair. It promotes the healthy growth of hair because it contains some antioxidant properties. These properties help boost the production of cells and eventually encourage the growth of hair. If you are using the natural argan oil, you can even leave argan oil overnight to absorb the full benefits.
- Moisturizer - This oil can as well be used as a moisturizer. What this means is that it can be very beneficial to the scalp especially when you want to get rid of dandruff and preventing dry scalp. When used for some time, then it can be very beneficial especially when you want to get healthy and strong hair.
- Repair from Chemical Treatment - There are some of the people who use this oil after applying chemical treatments. The main reason for this is because this oil can undo some of the damages that are done during chemical treatment. It can as well be used to treat a split end.
- Argan oil as a Shampoo - Since the time in memorial Argan oil was used as an ingredient in shampoo. The main reason for this is due to its ability to restore freshness, softness, shine and strength of the hair. If you are suffering from dryness, brittle hair or hair damage, then this is the first thing that you should look for in a shampoo.
- Argan oil as a leave-in conditioner - Argan oil has over the time been the top ingredient in leave-in conditioner. The first argument here is that this oil makes hair soft and sleek and that’s why it is an ideal conditioning agent. When used as a leave-in conditioner, it makes hair easy to style and it doesn’t leave any greasy residue.
- Argan oil as a styling agent - Argan oil can also be used as a styling agent. It is the best ingredient especially when you want to style your hair in a hurry. It also offers long term improvement in softness and strength. The other thing is that it gives hair an immediate gloss. The fact is that most of the chemically made styling agents can cause long term damage to the hair which is directly opposite when you start using Argan oil.
- Argan oil can as well be used as a hair mask - There are some of the people that use this oil for a night to improve the effects of Argan oil. Most of them use this ingredient the night before a special event. You just have to rub a few drops of Argan oil on your hair and cover it with a special cover to make it work for you.
What is argan oil also used for
The benefits that can accrue when you start using Argan oil are uncountable. Besides the hair uses I have listed above, there are several other benefits that you can get when you start on this. Some of them include:
- Skin moisturizer - Argan oil can be used as a very effective skin moisturizer. It is an organic product that most of the people have started using as a natural remedy for dry skin. For those people who have issues with their skin especially the parts past the hair, then this is the best ingredient to go for.
- Anti-aging properties - There are several other people who argue that Argan oil has some anti-aging properties that make it good for you. It doesn’t only work well for your hair but also for your skin. If applied the right way and for a prolonged period of time, it can give your skin a youthful glow and reduce the visibility of wrinkles.
- Protection and healing - Argan oil have some antioxidant properties that are beneficial for protecting the skin and also hurrying up the healing process. This is the main reason why this ingredient is used when people have skin damages. You can always use Argan oil when the skin is burned or damaged by other chemicals.
- Lip moisturizer - There are some of the people that today use this oil as a lip moisturizer especially in cold and dry weather. It is an ideal product that ensures your lips stays plump, soft and supple. You just have to rub a drop of Argan oil on your lips and everything else will follow. One main reason why Argan oil has so many benefits is that it can be used in its pure form and it will have minimal side effects. The above are just some of the benefits that it has on your hair and the others that it has generally. There are several other reasons why you should start using Argan oil from today.
Share with us below your experience with argan oil. Do you have any other uses or recommenedations? We wish to hear from you!